Blue Heart Sunshine CoastFeatured
About Blue Heart Sunshine Coast
Surrounding this are lands for:
- Rural and agricultural purposes
- Generation of renewable energy
- Open space purposes.
This floodplain area is already impacted by tidal inundation. Over time the area is expected to continue transitioning due to climate change and projected sea level rise.
This Blue Heart project seeks to manage the land and water through this transition to provide positive outcomes for our environment, community and economy.
Blue Heart project objectives:
- protect the most critical areas of the floodplain under public ownership
- establish a regionally-significant complex of wetland and floodplain ecosystems
- enhance water quality in the Maroochy River through nutrient management and sediment reduction works
- provide community and recreation opportunities through regional parkland, open space and trails
- establish new uses for existing rural and agricultural lands, including economic opportunities for landowners.
The partners will proactively work together to achieve the Blue Heart project objectives.